The longer we get to experience Obama presidency, the more I am able to appreciate his political acumen. The progressive liberal in me always wants him to do things that are radically progressive. Radical by any measure that the country has not seen. But the more pragmatic me is sort of waiting and watching the events unfold as policy after policy, the Obama administration is making its plays much like a Chess game.
I am not impressed with the administration on all matters. But again the pragmatist in me is sort of wondering if there is any better way to do handle each of this issue or approach a particular problem, than how Obama has already done. Let me start listing…I am being very objective in my analysis.
- Stimulus for Financial Institutions – In a capitalist economy, what else could have been done? As much as the stimulus sounded like socialist measure for most critics, I thought it was an extension of the capitalistic values (as much I personally disagree with them). To me this was the best any President could have done, specially since there is no proof yet as to what would have happened had nothing been done or if the institutions were simply punished.
- Stimulus for Auto companies – This was sort of a 50-50 in my mind. Being from Michigan, I am not disappointed with the fact that GM and Chrysler are surviving yet, but the government went too much out of its way to help bail them out. So not impressed with this policy and even though I can’t list what could have been done differently, I have read expert opinions on workable alternatives, which I believed would have helped the country.
- Health Care – I think this was a masterstroke..though initially my reaction was more based out of the liberal views inside. He is going to have some reform done – No matter what and that is a success to his presidency whichever way you look at it. In the end, he let the senators and congressmen make their choices by being passively aggressive.
- Education – He has had some luxury here without being painted a socialist. So full marks so far.
- Climate Change – Not too happy here. Even though the restrained approach can be argued, I would give him 50% because the administration has had more than one opportunity so far to push its agenda more aggressively, which they haven’t done, even passively.
- Finally War – To all the Obama supporters, remember his campaign was based on the platform that he will get out of Iraq but will focus on Afghan and fight it out till terrorism is wiped out there. He is doing exactly that. So I don’t understand the disappointment among his supporters. If one thing, this new policy has sort of caught the hardcore GOP conservatives red faced because they have very little to attack him on (of course they have already found ways to do that). So I am impressed…