Before I launch my expletive & irate diatribe against NBC, here are some observations on the opening ceremony and the first 3 days of London 2012:
1) When I saw the Madascar contingent, I expected Madagascar 2 and Madascar 3 to follow. Didn’t you all?
2) Didn’t the Chinese contingent show a nice gesture by waving the GB flag along with Chinese flag? Hmm..on second thoughts was it to show that those flags were made in China? (ah, the cynic in me..)
3) I expected the Cayman Islands flag bearer to be Mitt Romney. Also expected Ann Romney to walk with the US contingent (on behalf of her horse). Disapointed later to spot both of them in the stands carefully seated far away from Cameron.
4) Whoever the mystery woman was with the Indian contingent, she at least looked presentable. Explains how she could have breached the security. Right?
5) Ralph Lauren received a lot of flak for their uniforms for the US contingent. Seriously, if you really want to get down to the bottom of what is manufactured where, then no country could ever participate in Olympics. Imagine how much of the gear, equipment, etc. used at the Olympics came from China. As such China keeps winning gold medals. Might as well call it ahead and award gold medals in all events to China & have a friendly competition for silver and bronze medals for the remaining chinese athletes.
If you are living in the US and are trying to follow Olympics, then you surely have gotten over the fact by now, that NBC is a network worth receiving all the hatred, it has received already. Now, how can we make sure that NBC truly, truly feels the pinch? One way is to stop watching NBC altogether. Another way would be stop boycotting all their sponsors..or most of them..or as many as you can.
The unbelievable ironclad control (like the Chinese government) that NBC is trying to exercise over what & how US public gets to see Olympics is utterly disgusting and totally unacceptable. This is 2012, where social media set the rules of the game. Any game. and NBC doesn’t understand that or decided to dismiss it because of its arrogance.
See, this is what happens when you have a network run by a bunch of old guys who are totally out of touch with the ground reality. And then to make matters worse, they start acting totally autocratic by suspending twitter accounts of those who criticize them.
Enough gripe about NBC who in my books have stepped down several notches.
Finally, get that red carpet drooler Ryan Seacrest out of Olympics coverage – He doesn’t belong there. You all know where he belongs!